Friday, January 27, 2012

How often do hermit crabs switch shells?

I heard they change frequently.

How often do hermit crabs switch shells?
It all depends on the individual crab, as well as the species of crab. I have had just about every kind of land hermit crab that is available, and can tell you from experience that some do switch shells more than others. My C.Clypeatus (purple pincer or PP) will switch most often, while my ruggies will resist change until absolutely necessary (as in when they can no longer fit into their usual shell after a molt). My strawberries have been here for six months; and of the two of them, only one has changed shells - once.



Typically crabs will need to change shells after a molt (but not always); but you should always have extra shells on hand, at least three per crab. The shells should be slightly larger than the crab's current shell (1/4 to 1/2 inch, measuring the opening). You should sterilize the shells before offering them by boiling them for 5-15 minutes then allowing them to cool. Do not provide painted shells; these are hazardous to the crabs!!
Reply:Depends entirely on the crab I have had some change almost daily while I have one who has never changed his shell and I've used a good variety of shells given to him.

gina

No comments:

Post a Comment