Sunday, February 5, 2012

Do egg shells have calcium in them?

I want to know so i can find out if phosphoric acids can leech the calcium out of the egg shell, which would going along perfect with my project, cuz that means that phosphoric acids can leech calcium out of your teeth too.

Do egg shells have calcium in them?
Yes, they're mainly calcium.
Reply:Here you go thank This guy:-

Kyle R. Woods

Science Fair Use Only

Which Diet or Regular Soda Has the Most Effect on Teeth

and Eggshells? Division

3 - Biochemistry / Molecular Biology



Problem Statement: Which diet or regular soda has the most affect on teeth and eggshells?

Hypothesis: I believe Dr. Pepper (dark soda) will effect the teeth and eggshells more than light color sodas. I believe this because

the dark sodas all have phosphoric acid, which removes calcium carbonate from teeth and eggshells making them more permeable.

Also why I think Dr. Pepper will have the most affect is in looking at all the sodas I believe Dr. Pepper is the darkest.

Materials: 1. 21 Baby food jars; 2. 5 Regular and diet sodas (Dr. Pepper, Coca Cola, Pepsi, Mountain Dew, and 7Up); 3. 11

Extra large white eggs; 4. 21 White Labels; 5. 11 Teeth; 6. 1 Bottled water

Procedure: A. Bought 5 each of diet and regular sodas. B. Bought 21 baby food jars. C. Bought bottled water. D. I put sodas in

an order from darkest to lightest and cleaned the baby food jars. E. Took pictures of the teeth and eggshells for comparisons to the

after pictures. I then put each soda in two separate jars for the teeth and eggshells. F. Labeled jars. G. Put the teeth and eggshells

in the soda and left from Feb. 7th to Feb. 20th. H. On Feb 20th I removed teeth and eggshells from the jars then took pictures.

Results: The eggshells and teeth in the sodas changed color due to loss of strength in the teeth and eggshells because they became

more porous. Coca Cola had the most affect on the teeth and eggshells when I compared them to the control group. 7Up had the

least affect.

Conclusion: My conclusion is that Coca Cola caused the most affect on the teeth and eggshells. The soda with the least affect was

7Up. My hypothesis that Dr. Pepper would have the most affect was wrong. But, my hypothesis that the darker drinks containing

phosphoric acid would be worse or have the most affect was right.

Summary Statement (In one sentence, state what your project is about.)

I was trying to determine if darker colored sodas would stain teeth more than ligher colored sodas. I

used eggshells as a comparison because their color is more the same.

Help Received in Doing Project (e.g. Mother helped type report; Neighbor helped wire board; Used lab equipment at

university X under the supervision of Dr. Y; Participant in NSF Young Scholars Program) See Display Regulation #8 on page 4.

Dr. Larry Lorenzi helped by giving me the teeth; Dad helped me on the computer; Science teacher

helped by giving me guidance.


No comments:

Post a Comment